Saturday, March 27, 2010

doors story


... since I left an old post about the door show in Russia, I thought it might be a good idea to tell a story of what happened to that whole idea. It has its own life with a new purpose - transformed- wondering, but making a point.

In March 2008 I had a personal show in Gallery 360, called "Enter and Exit", then 4 months later that show went to New York, to a place, which is unfortunately now out of business, an editors club in Chelsea, The Village Quill and made it to a Russian Word Newspaper in NYC in a form of an interview. After all this traveling doors/paintings went to Boston and had an Open House in Brookline in May of 2009. In 2008 show Gallery sold 4 paintings. Open House in Brookline sold 2 more. It was as if there was a psychological obstacle of a door. Why do we need one? To enter? to exit? to send somebody away, to let somebody in? I think this what this project happened to be for me at the end. I moved all of them with me to Boston, whatever was not yet here already and now have a huge crazy kitchen closet with all my painted doors trimmed and sliced, if needed. I think they finally found its place and purpose. Do I want to make furniture? I don't. In that particular case, it was the other way around.

No comments: